Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Adios Mexico! I'll miss you!

Sadly, it's time for me to say goodbye. It's been a wonderful and busy 2 years for me working as an English Language Fellow in Mexico. For example, I've attended 2 national MEXTESOL conventions, presented at 5 regional MEXTESOL conventions, taught 1550 teachers in 16 different states of Mexico.
In this time I feel I've learned so much: how to not sweat the small stuff, how to be confident when giving a plenary talk, how to be flexible when you don't know who you'll be teaching and above all, I've learned what kind, creative, fun-loving, hard-working people most Mexican teachers are. I haven't left yet and I can't wait to come back.
However, as is the case with fellowships, its time for me to give someone else the opportunity to work in fabulous Mexico. That someone is Deborah Farley, the new Senior English Language Fellow, a really nice teacher from Vermont. So if you want another workshop, contact Jose Manuel Villafuerte at the Office of English Language Progams at villafuertejm@state.gov .
As for me, I will be moving with my husband to Oman in the Middle East to teach at Sultan Qaboos University.
Finally, I'd like to thank JM and Kay for all their support and friendship over the past couple of years and all the teachers and coordinators who've made my stay in Mexico so memorable.
So, as I finish, I won't say "Adios" but just "Hasta luego!" Keep in touch!